Long back There was a email client named incrediMail that could do some tricks. I received e-mails with all kinds of pizzazz. Now you can do this with Outlook 2010. All Microsoft Word tricks can be done in Outlook 2010 Mail compose window. Here is some samples I did. Most of them you can find in Insert Tab in Mail compose window. Try some you might like it.
Do you send screenshots via email time to time? how do you do it? Here is a easy way if you are using Outlook 2010.
1. Click New Email to compose a new message.
2. On the ribbon, select Insert tab and select Screenshot.
3. The current compose window will minimize automatically. Select the portion of the screen, voila!
Outlook 2010 has many more tricks under the sleeve. More coming in this blog.
This outlook add-in adds the missing feature in Microsoft outlook which allows you to save and with option to remove all attachments from multiple emails at once. Great tools to manage your mailbox size. Get it HERE.
As a System Admin in IT, Many times I have to make a list in Excel to state status of, say, Servers. I am sure you have some list you have to manager in Excel. Here is the cool way of managing the check list. This is tested in Excel 2007 and I am not sure about the lower versions of Office.
The End result looks like this:
Like the idea. Read ahead for “How to” help.
1. Make a list like above and Select the Status column with header like below picture.
2. Now click Conditional Formatting in Home tab and select Icon Sets. Select the ICON that suits your needs. For this document I chose the Tick mark, X icon and ! icon.
3. Leave the Status column selected, click on Conditional Formatting again and Select Manage Rules..
4. On Conditional Formatting Rules Manager click on Edit Rule…
5. Select Show Icon Only check box on the bottom and click OK. (Note the ICON/Value rule)
6. On the Status column cells, enter 1 for tick mark, 0 for X mark and –1 for ! mark.
Show your Excel spreadsheet others and show them how to do it. Look Good!!!
Have you ever regret for sending mail to a wrong person or wrong information? Almost everyone does at some point of time. Some people does frequently. And then they regret it and furiously try to recover the mail.
Here is the tip: Use Outlook Rules and Alerts feature to delay the mail sending, say a minute. So every time you send a email, it will sit in Outlook for a minute before sending. It gives time decide if the mail really wants to go out.
How to create the "Defer Delivery" Outlook Rule?
1. Click Tools –> Rules and Alerts… in Outlook
2. Select "Check messages after sending" and click Next
3. Do not select anything in "Step 1: Select Condition(s)", just click Next.
4. Check the box for "defer delivery by a number of minutes". In Step 2 section, click "a number of" link and select 1 for one minute. Click Finish.
5. Close the Rules and Alerts window. You are done.
Now every time you send a mail, it will sit in Outbox as I told before. Hope you are happy with the solution.
How many times did you helped users to cleanup their mailbox? The usual way of cleaning up the mailbox is to archive the old mail, cleaning up the Sent Items, moving mails to PST folders, etc.,
Do you know there is Mailbox Cleanup utility comes with Outlook 2007? If you don’t know check it out. I would strongly suggest educating the users about this tool in Outlook and let them clean up their mailbox themselves. If they do it, it’s really Cool! Isn’t?
To invoke the Outlook Mailbox Cleanup tool, Click Tools –> Mailbox Cleanup.
It looks like this:
When a new mail arrives, Outlook shows cool Desktop Alert window with the subject text and little drop down menu with few mail options. You quickly see the sender and subject text, and you can also delete or flag the mail for future review.The alert window look like this.
Now the issue is some times this alert window is showing at wrong part of the desktop, like middle of the screen. This is because when your desktop resolution changes, alert window moved to the usual location (Bottom-Right). If the desktop changed it resolution, alert window still keeps in its old location. That’s why it show up in different location in desktop.
Fix: Just drag the window to your own comfortable location. Outlook will alert window at your selected location.